At St Richard Reynolds our core purpose is to provide outstanding learning and teaching opportunities for all our pupils. Our curriculum aims to offer challenge, leading to the highest standards of personal achievement through the recognition of individual needs and provides varied co-curricular experiences. We enrich our curriculum through visits out of school, themed days around topics and arranging visitors to come in to school. We are fortunate to have specialist teachers from the High School to deliver Music, French and PE lessons.
Religious Education is at the heart of our curriculum and lessons are carefully planned to ensure that all areas of the Bishops’ Curriculum Directory are met i.e. Revelation, Church, Celebration and Life in Christ. Catholic Social Teaching is also embedded in our Programmes of Study to ensure that engagement with religious teaching is not solely the preserve of RE lessons but part of the development of the whole person.
To put our curriculum into practice, staff will:
- Have high expectations of pupils
- Employ a variety of appropriate teaching and learning methods
- Ensure that pupils, including those with SEND, can access the curriculum and are given opportunities and strategies to succeed
- Deliver a curriculum which build upon pupils’ previous experiences
- Provide work which offers depth, challenge, motivation and inspiration
- Provide regular feedback through assessments and encourages pupils to evaluate their own learning
- Develops pupils’ skills to become independent learners.
- Reward and value pupil achievement
- Work in partnership to keep parents informed regularly
To ensure that each subject area is developed and enhanced each teacher has a subject specialism and leads a subject, monitoring how it is taught, how well pupils are progressing and what areas of development the school needs to focus on in order to raise standards in teaching and learning.
We believe great learning and teaching is underpinned by the SRR10 – our list of non negotiables that we ensure are an integral part of our lessons.